With the development of COVID vaccines and a better understanding of the virus, many people have returned to their busy travel schedule. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, it can take a toll on your body and your skin. Here are some smart and simple travel skincare tips to keep you looking great while away.
Pre-Flight Skin Prep at home is key and will keep your skin looking healthy and feeling hydrated during the entire flight.
- Start by washing your face and then follow up with a natural face scrub or an AHA/BHA toner to rid your skin of dead surface cells, allowing it to breath and better absorb products.
- Next, follow up with a hydrating serum or a hydrating mask that can double as a serum. Look for humectants like hyaluronic acid and glycerin to attract and retain moisture to amp up and hydrate your skin.
- Make sure to moisturize with a rich emollient cream. Make sure to use a face balm with SPF which serves a dual purpose – it moisturizes and protects your skin from UV.
- Next, use a natural face oil to seal in the moisture. There are many face oil blends out there, but you can also use a nourishing single oil like rosehip, grapeseed, sunflower, safflower, or jojoba. Warm up 3 to 4 drops in the palm of your hand, and then press the oil onto your face and neck to lock in the moisture.
- Finally, apply a lip balm to your lips to keep them moisturized, and if your hands tend to be dry, use a hand cream.
In-flight Care. Once you’ve prepped your skin, the in-flight skin care steps are minimal. We recommend ditching the infamous Tik Tok in-flight sheet masks or Evian water misting sprays. The masks look silly, and both the masks and misting sprays will dry out your skin. What you can do in-flight is reapply your face oil, lip balm, and hand cream (especially if you washed your hands or used hand sanitizers). Also, make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and be mindful alcohol can lead to dehydration (but you do you).
After-Flight Care. After settling into your hotel, make time to give your skin a little love.
- Start by thoroughly cleansing your face and follow up with a gentle exfoliation using a natural face scrub or AHA/BHA to refresh and revitalize.
- Next, use a hydrating mask complex or a sheet mask to replenish and plump up your skin.
- Finally, follow up with a lotion, cream, or balm to moisturize your skin and don’t forget the SPF.
- On the following day, you can resume your regular at home daily/weekly natural skincare routine.
If you’re lucky enough to end up at a seaside destination, take a dip in the ocean. Your skin will thank you!